October 15, 2008

Freezing in Thailand


It's easy to think of activities that you shouldn't participate in during certain seasons. Swimming in the Snake in November, skiing the slushy Tetons in July, mountain biking Ditch Creek in the mud season. Just because you can do those things, doesn't mean you necessarily should. And so it would go for Pui and I on our decision to drive up to the highest mountain in Thailand (8,414 ft) in the rainy season on a motorcycle. From minute number one to hour number 8 the rain would fall. First as a drizzle in pea soup like fog then eventually to a full on down pour. I'm so glad I caught the experience of driving a motorcycle in the rainy season on video to remind me never to get more than 30 minutes from home during that time of year.

In addition to the rain, it was about 40 degrees up there with 40 mile an hour winds. After about the fourth hour of that I felt like Lloyd and Harry in Dumb & Dumber when they decide to ride their moped to Aspen in the winter.

Harry: "I think I've got to go to the bathroom"

Lloyd: "Just go man"


Harry: "....."

Lloyd: "That feels nice"

1 comment:

Marshall said...

That is good. I can't believe you went out and then up to Doi Inthanon in that weather. Your video is very telling. One can see the sheets of rain. I can only imagine how incredibly miserable it was on the summit. The guards at the park must have thought you were crazy. Oh but wait... you are farang.