November 14, 2008

Revisiting My Least Favorite Holiday


I feel like every year I write something new about how much I hate the giant Thai Festival, Loy Gratong. This year was an exercise in facing this holiday head on. Putting all my fears about losing fingers, eyes and sanity to this fireworks infested holiday into a gratong and sailing it down the river. I stood at the banks of the river that drove me to madness last year for up to half an hour. Bottle rockets soared over my head, M-80s exploded everywhere. Police were arresting people left and right for setting off fireworks that were considered big enough to actually kill people. We had one of these go off 30 feet in front of us and you could literally feel a giant shockwave push you back. If you give it about 10 minutes, you actually stop panicing and start relaxing. I mean it's all way too much to worry about. Then I finally saw what maybe I was missing after all these years, all the activity, all the movement, the shouting, the life and excitment going on in every direction as far as the eye could see and no one was worrying about what might happen, they were just living in the now. (**this includes all the people that just lost their pinky finger to an M-80).

Oh... And I also went to the lantern lighting festival that I went to the first year. Here is another fantastic video.

No comments: