April 28, 2008

Any Given Sunday

So I got back from Japan about 2 weeks ago and I haven't had a thing to write about since. I got this great quote from a friend in China: "Visit someplace for a month, you can write a book, 6 months you can put out an essay, in a couple of years, you're lucky if you can squeak out a sentence." As it goes no matter where you live. The things that once were mind blowing have a way of becoming pedestrian. So I looked at some photos I've taken recently and tried to recreate the last 2 weeks.

  • The Return of Song Krang. A week long water fight dressed up as the Thai New Year celebration. The old city of Chiang Mai is surrounded by a 6km moat. About the most fun you can have is getting up around 9am and walking the perimeter with a bucket. For the next 8 hours you enter a shoulder to shoulder procession of the walkers vs. the drivers. Continually getting hosed down with ice water from the backs of trucks while in turn dumping on them the grossest, dirtiest water you've ever seen on them dredged out of the moat. I think maybe the most important thing is to make sure that you keep that moat water out of your beer. Video of the festivities.

  • Zip-Lining throughout the forest. Usually reserved for moviestars and reality tv-show contestants, a zip-line company opened up in Chiang Mai about 6 months ago. Honestly it isn't half as exciting as it would appear on TV. I think the most exciting thing that happened was my shoe came off during one of the flights. Actually, here is a video of Pui. This is what happens when you don't carry enough speed to make it between platforms.

  • Hiding in the masses. I really appreciate the anonymity that living in a large city affords you. I can now grow the mustache that humility would never afford me in Jackson. And really why stop there? I let my hair grow back for the first time in 4 years so I can shave my girlfriends name in the back, just like I always wanted.

No comments: